Simple Applique Tote Bag
Come learn the basics of sewing with a fun and patient teacher! In our Beginning Sewing Series, each class will feature a different project, each one to designed to teach you different skills and grow your confidence as a sewist.
This is a perfect little bag for a quick library trip, to keep your project supplies collected, or just to show off your new sewing skills! You may even find you want to make them as gifts!
You’ll learn a fusible raw edge applique technique, and the tricks of lining the bag with little to no hand stitching! Sandy may even show you how to ‘box’ the bottom of the bag for a more sophisticated look!
- Fat quarter for exterior of bag
- Fat quarter for interior of bag
- 2-3 fat quarters or scrap quilt cotton for applique pieces and handles
- ¼ yard fusible webbing
- Coordinating thread
General Sewing Supplies/Notions needed:
- Sewing scissors
- Thread snips (optional)
- Sewing machine in good working order*
- Sewing machine needles (universal 80/12)
- Thread in color to match main body fabric (in bobbin and on top)
- Seam ripper
- Fabric marking pencil/pen or chalk marker
*A note for Beginning Sewists:
You must know how to thread your machine and wind a bobbin. Please bring the owner’s manual with you. If you need help with your machine, please contact the shop and we will arrange to meet outside class time to make sure your machine is in good working order. We want everyone in the class to have a successful sewing experience!